I suggest you ...

Create an add-on which establishes a backup/synchronization capability

If I were to clone everything into a location on Amazon S3 or my local development using XAMPP then it would make sense to also be able to overwrite everything, which would in essence create a backup without incremental capability. I would love that! This could either mean for all sites in a multisite or just single sites. This would be VERY exciting if I could do that.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joseph DowdyJoseph Dowdy shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

Thanks! We have talked about this exact idea internally. Our current thought about the approach we might take is to have a Cloner archive format that would include the Cloner settings + the resulting data in a single file. Instead of executing the instructions with the data it would store both. Then to “restore” the archive, you point the Cloner at the archive, it reads the settings and plays back the execution with the data in the file as if it had cloned a live site in that network (whether or not it was actually there). The physical files are probably the biggest sticking point on the entire thing as that could lead to enormous archive files depending on the total size of the site(s) backed up. Anyway, we’re brainstorming that idea through. Input is much appreciated, especially if you have better ideas on implementation approach. But this kind of feedback is super valuable to us – we want to prioritize what we build based on what everyone finds the most useful.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...