Symptoms after Cloning:
- White Screen of Death
- 404 Page not Found
- New cloned site exists but is empty or blank
- Server Error 500
- Multisite network installations running in Subdomain mode
- Multisite network installations running in Subdirectory mode (also called Subfolder mode)
Cause and Solutions:
These symptoms almost always mean that the Cloner is unable to complete it's cloning process due inadequate system resource configurations.
The primary PHP settings that you should pay close attention to, and our recommended starting points for their settings are:
- max_execution_time = 600 [this is in seconds]
- memory_limit = 512MB
- Make a DB backup before optimizing your database in case you need to go back or recover anything.
- Delete and purge all post revisions and auto saves - your DB might have many times the number of posts in actual size from the revisions.
- Delete and purge all transients
- Make sure that “Capture additional debug logging to Detailed Log” option is NOT checked
- Remove all unused plugins (and any tables they have created)
- Purge all temporary data from active plugins (things like redirection logs, old activity logs, etc.)
- Optimize the DB (There are several plugins that make this really simple)
- Keep increasing max_execution_time and memory_limit as required. We've had to bump memory_limit as high as 768MB before to get some intense multisite plugins to work correctly.
As a last resort, you can try using a 2-step or 3-step cloning process if you have the Content and Users add-on or one of our Cloner Bundles:
- Try UNchecking the options to Copy ALL posts and Copy media files, and run the clone that way. This will clone the site structure without the wp_post* tables or media files. This should complete fairly quickly.
- Then, you could either run a standard WordPress XML export / import to get the content, OR you can use the Cloner in Clone-over mode and only use the Copy all posts option, supplying the new site ID generated in step 1 for the Target ID field.
- If necessary, Clone-over mode could be used again to copy only the media files – or the media files can be copied manually in the file system